A National Historic Landmark, The Green-Meldrim House is located on Madison Square in the heart of historic Savannah. It was the headquarters of U.S. General Sherman during the Federal occupation of Savannah in 1864. It is also one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the South. Since 1943, the Green-Meldrim House has served as the active parish house for adjacent St. John’s Church (Episcopal). For a limited time this summer, we are opening the majestic Gothic architecture church for complimentary tours along with your tour of the Green-Meldrim House. Both the Green-Meldrim House and the church will be open for tours on Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the last tour at 3:30 p.m. Reservations are not needed.
Tours begin at the Green-Meldrim House and end at the church.
Tours are conducted in English. We also offer Green-Meldrim House brochures in German, French, and Spanish.
The Green-Meldrim House is the parish house for St. John’s Church and may be closed for church functions. The suggested donation for a tour of the Green-Meldrim House is $10 for adults and $5 for students (cash, credit, or debit) . Tours of the church are complimentary, but donations are welcome. For questions, please call St. John’s Church office at (912) 232-1251.