Send resumes to Jeff Hewitt at [email protected].
Title: Destination Services Manager
Reports to: Senior Vice President
This position is primarily responsible for coordinating and directing all operations, programs required for servicing meetings, conventions, customer visits and FAM trips. Develops a business relationship with meeting planners and works to determine servicing requirements and other support needed by the organization for the attendees.
- Basic Functions
- Establishes contact with convention and meeting planners who are scheduled to bring groups into the area and to offer them bureau services.
- Organizes and conducts site visits of off-site facilities for meeting planners booked through Visit Savannah. May also conduct site visits on behalf of sales staff with planners still considering bids (site inspections include setting the itinerary with participating venues, facilities and/or hotels).
- Acts as a liaison between meeting planners and service providing chamber members: offers suggestions and assistance planning off-site events, spousal programs, children’s activities, transportation needs, registration and staffing needs as well as information on Savannah.
- Organizes and attends pre- and post-event meeting with client planner, hotelier’s staff, transportation partners and the Convention Center.
- Manages the use of Visit Savannah banners on Bay Street. Ensures banner use is within guidelines to represent events taking place in the city, approves artwork on banners and controls calendar of requests of use.
- Presents event updates and passkey information at quarterly Future Business Review (FBR) meeting. Includes recap of recent city-wide events, current and upcoming city-wide events booked through Visit Savannah and reviews current Passkey pick-up of those groups utilizing the housing service.
- Determines and utilizes a timeline schedule to coordinate bureau services for city-wide groups; pre-planning, transportation, welcome banner program, housing and information brochures.
- Plans client entertainment events for site visits, familiarization (FAM) trips and VIP groups.
- Networking and Communications
- Attends local networking events.
- Maintains positive working relationship with local service providers which includes reaching out to new chamber members to stay up to date on current offerings.
- Maintains industry memberships and participates in relevant industry organizations than can improve and enhance his/her skills.
- Excellent communication, management and organization skills.
- Maintains accurate Destination Services Account files.
- Manages housing through Passkey or other housing software and trains Sales and Service Coordinators to become proficient with the system. Maintains calendar of city-wide events and update which will be using Passkey and which will use another means of reservation tracking for department.
- Order and keep inventory of Visit Savannah logo products and promotional items.
- Develops the Destination Services annual budget.
- Develops the Destination Services annual business plan.
- Reports city-wide event recaps within CRM system immediately following each convention.
- Coordinates and manages the Convention Transportation Fund (CTF) plan for qualifying groups. Works directly with the meeting planner, hoteliers, transportation partners and the Savannah Convention Center to determine logistics for attendees during peak meeting dates. Ensures accuracy and keeps lines of communication open.
- Processes invoices for all orders done within destination services budget to include transportation services, promotional items, gift baskets, banner printing/installing/dismantling, etc.
- Orders appropriate welcome amenity per each qualifying event; welcome ribbons, banners callouts, digital airport signs, etc. and contracts with vendors accordingly.
- Maintaining the Show us Your Badge Program and VIP Pass to confirm members and ensure they continue to have active statuses in the Chamber CRM. Update the Show us Your Badge program monthly as needed,
- Schedules/arranges the holiday banners throughout the Historic District by arranging the install/dismantle and permitting.
- Customer Service
- Offers the necessary resources to organizations to build attendee registration. These resources include but are not limited to the following: brochures, photos, logos, micro-site, Show us Your Badge Program and/or deliver a presentation on Savannah for qualifying groups.
- Arranges production and installation of welcome banner callouts for qualifying groups. The welcome banner callouts will include the group’s acronym and are installed under existing welcome banners throughout Hutchinson Island and the Historic District (if applicable).
- Organizational Commitment
- Maintain a cohesive working relationship with all other personnel to successfully accomplish Visit Savannah and Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce goals.
- Participates in ongoing high-quality improvement efforts and client satisfaction efforts.
- Demonstrates high standards in service through all interactions with customers and clients.
- Handle additional responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience/Key Competencies:
Education and Experience:
- Four-year degree from an accredited college or university and/or minimum of 3 years’ experience in convention services or meeting planning at a management level.
Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent communication, management and organizational skills.
- Participate in training opportunities for both professional and personal development.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), account management software and the internet.
- Ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and implement change based on changing market conditions.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients and customers.
- Ability to lead others toward common goals.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift materials weighing up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Ability to drive, transport self and others.
- Ability to travel via airplane.
- Regular attendance and being on time required.
- Make sound judgements quickly.
- Work on multiple tasks, making appropriate progress towards deadlines.
- Able to work independently, take direction and provide direction to others.
- Manage differing personalities within the office and community.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality.
- Creative and detail oriented.
- Must be a self-starter; be self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Must be flexible and be able to adjust to changing conditions, circumstances and priorities.
- Must demonstrate a positive attitude and cooperate with staff.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening hours. This position requires occasional domestic and international business travel. Reasonable accommodations may be limited to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office: 75-80%, Outside Office: 15-20%, Travel: 5%, Evenings, weekends and overtime as required.
This job description describes the general nature and work level to be performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of job responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Updated as of: 3/9/21