Profile

Green - Meldrim House of St. John's Church

14 W Macon St, Savannah, GA 31401

Located in Historic Landmark District

Green-Meldrim Exterior facing Madison Square - The Green-Meldrim House on Madison Square is open for guided walk-in tours.Historic Marker in front of the Green-Meldrim HouseThe garden of the Green-Meldrim House faces Madison SquareUpstairs hallway of the Green-Meldrim HouseThe distinctive entrance to the Green-Meldrim House
Green-Meldrim Exterior facing Madison Square - The Green-Meldrim House on Madison Square is open for guided walk-in tours.Historic Marker in front of the Green-Meldrim HouseThe garden of the Green-Meldrim House faces Madison SquareUpstairs hallway of the Green-Meldrim HouseThe distinctive entrance to the Green-Meldrim House
Historic Attractions / Museums / Historic Venues
Info & Amenities

The Green-Meldrim House is open on a limited basis due to COVID-19.

NOTE: the Green-Meldrim House will be closed Friday, June 4, 2021, and closed Tuesday, June 15, 2021. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The house is currently open for tours on Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. with the last tour at 3:30 p.m. The suggested donation for a tour is $10 for adults, $5 for students.

Please call the Church office at (912) 232-1251 if you have questions.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Our docents are always eager to introduce visitors to this National Historic Landmark, one of only 2,500 in the United States. Located on Madison Square in the heart of historic Savannah, this was the headquarters of U.S. General Sherman during the Federal occupation of Savannah in 1864.

The house is also one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the South and designed by architect Mr. John S. Norris. Since 1943, the house has served as the active parish house for adjacent St. John's Church (Episcopal). Most of the volunteer docents are members of the church. As a result, the house may be closed for church events. Please check the website to see if the house is open on the day you wish to visit.

Several Savannah events are hosted at the house: Tour of Homes (November), Savannah Art & Antiques Weekend (March), NOG’s Secret Garden Tours of Savannah (April), as well as many music events.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
HOUSE TOUR DAYS & HOURS
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are offering tours on a limited schedule. Starting April 6, 2021, the house will be open for tours on Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the last tour at 3:30 p.m.

* Walk-ins are welcome whenever the house is open.
* Reservations are not needed.
* Tours are conducted in English, and we have brochures in German, French, and Spanish.
* The house may be closed for parish functions and will be closed during Christmas (mid-December until after New Year's Day) and during Holy Week and Easter.

For questions, please call the St. John's Church office at (912) 232-1251 (Church office hours are Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

HOUSE TOUR DONATIONS
The suggested donation for a tour is $10 for adults, $5 for students, and pre-school children are free.

GROUP HOUSE TOURS
Prearranged tours are available for groups of 10 or more for a suggested donation of $5 per person. For students of 10 or more, it is a suggested donation of $3 per person. To arrange a tour for groups of 10 or more persons, call Sigrid Kirk at (912) 598.8041 or contact us via [email protected].

For private tours of the church, please contact the church office at (912) 232-1251 or at [email protected].

PLEASE NOTE: The Green-Meldrim House is the Parish House for St. John’s Church in Savannah and may be closed for church functions. For questions, please call the St. John’s Church office at (912) 232-1251.

HOUSE RENTAL FOR EVENTS
To inquire about renting the house, email Connie McCay at [email protected] or call the church office at (912) 232-1251.

CHURCH TOURS
[NOTE: Church tours are not available due to COVID-19 at this time.]

Business Status
  • Open For Business
COVID-19 Safety Measures

We are offering tours on a limited schedule. Please call 912-232-1251 for days we are open.

Meetings

The Green-Meldrim House is one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture to be found in the South. The house was constructed in the early 1850s as the residence of Mr. Charles Green, an Englishman who came to Savannah in 1833. In December of 1864, upon the invitation of Mr. Green, General William Tecumseh Sherman used the Green-Meldrim House as his headquarters when the Federal army occupied Savannah during the Civil War. It was here that General Sherman sent his famous telegram to President Lincoln offering him the City of Savannah as a Christmas gift. After the death of Mr. Green in 1881, the house became the property of his son, Edward Green. In 1892, Judge Peter Meldrim purchased the house. It stayed in the Meldrim family until 1943 when they sold this historic treasure to their neighbor, St. John’s Church. In 1976, the house was designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The house is open to the public for tours on selected days. HOUSE RENTALS
The Green-Meldrim House is a valuable and wonderful place for receptions and special events. We are proud to open the house for restricted use, as we honor and protect its many artifacts, while enjoying the beauty they provide. The fee schedule for events held in The Green-Meldrim House is noted below. The maximum number of guests in the house is 200.

Weddings

The Green-Meldrim House is one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture to be found in the South. The house was constructed in the early 1850s as the residence of Mr. Charles Green, an Englishman who came to Savannah in 1833. In December of 1864, upon the invitation of Mr. Green, General William Tecumseh Sherman used the Green-Meldrim House as his headquarters when the Federal army occupied Savannah during the Civil War. It was here that General Sherman sent his famous telegram to President Lincoln offering him the City of Savannah as a Christmas gift. After the death of Mr. Green in 1881, the house became the property of his son, Edward Green. In 1892, Judge Peter Meldrim purchased the house. It stayed in the Meldrim family until 1943 when they sold this historic treasure to their neighbor, St. John’s Church. In 1976, the house was designated a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The house is open to the public for tours on selected days. GREEN-MELDRIM HOUSE FEES Brides use for dressing & pictures only. Parishioners: NO FEE Non-parishioner Fee: $90 (A “parishioner” is classified as an active, contributing member of St. John’s Church in Savannah who wishes to use the facility for a personal event. Members’ clubs, associations or other groups do not qualify for parishioner fees.) SPECIAL EVENTS (200 max. guests) Parishioner Fee: $500 Parishioner-Sponsored Fee: $1,500 Non-Parishioner Fee: $3,000 All- Damage Deposit Fee: $200 (The deposit will be returned after the event if no damage occurs.)